Grants and Scholarships
The New Mexico Conference Endowment Committee and other conference sources offer a number of grants and scholarships which groups may apply for in expanding their ministries. Funds are made available to spur on the imaginations and turn hopes and dreams for potential ministry into reality.
Links to the application packets about these various opportunities are listed below for your convenience. Applications and inquiries should be directed to the Committee as directed in the respective packet: Deadlines for all 4 of the following is March 9, 2012.
- Bishop's Awards (granted only to local congregations and bodies within local congregations) Revised 2013 Bishop's Award Packet
- Vitality Awards (granted only to boards, agencies and bodies that are formed by or are a part of the NMAC) Revised 2013 Vitality Award pkt
- Pippin Grants for Mission (granted for mission work in New Mexico Conference, including the training of Navajo ministers.) Revised 2013 Pippin Grant pkg
- Thaxton Awards (granted for the care of the elderly poor and/or impoverished children of New Mexico.) Revised 2013 Thaxton Grant pkg
- The Albuquerque District grants annual funding for Missions work in the Albuquerque District of the Conference.
Any United Methodist Church or related nonprofit organization within the bounds of the Albuquerque District is eligible to apply. Our mission is to demonstrate God’s love and presence in the world through evangelism, service, advocacy, or community development. In 2013, the Committee awarded $10,500 with a range of $500 - $800 per project. The anticipated amount available for 2014 is $9,000. In recent years, the Committee has funded the following types of projects: direct services to the hungry and homeless, care for young children, older adult services, Hispanic and Native American ministries, women’s shelter, prison recovery program, and secondary education.
Further information is available in their Guidelines packet. Any United Methodist Church or related nonprofit organization within the bounds of the Albuquerque District is eligible to apply. Our mission is to demonstrate God’s love and presence in the world through evangelism, service, advocacy, or community development.
2014 Albq Missions Award Application-Guidelines-Reporting Forms
2014 Albq District Missions Awards Article
- The Conference Board of Church & Society presents a Principled Church Award to churches meeting specific requirements:
Principled Church Award Guidelines 2012
Principled Church Award app 2012
Aug. 10 is the deadline to apply for a Human Relations Day Grant from the United Methodist General Board of Church & Society (GBCS). The grants are to support ministries that respond to non-violent young offenders through education, advocacy or leadership training and development. Grant funds are raised through The United Methodist Church's Human Relations Day Special Sunday (http://www.umcgiving.org/site/c.qwL6KkNWLrH/b.3837993/k.25A8/Human_Relations_Day__Frequent_Questions.htm)
Aug. 10 is the deadline to apply for an Ethnic Local Church Grant from the United Methodist General Board of Church & Society (GBCS). The grants are to strengthen ethnic minority local churches through education, advocacy or leadership development as they engage in social justice. For more information, contact the Rev. Neal Christie () (), GBCS assistant general secretary, Education & Leadership Formation, at (202) 488-5611 or download the application at Ethnic Local Church Grant (http://www.umc-gbcs.org/atf/cf/%7B689FEA4C-8849-4C05-A89E-C9BC7FFFF64C%7D/2009-2012ELC.DOC).
- The Board of Global Ministries bestows the Cinco Estrellas (5 Stars)Award of Excellence to churches who meet 5 of the following criteria in a preceding conference
- Paid World Service & District Mission shared ministries in full
- Supported (financially or in kind) the Annual Conference Mission Project
- Supported at least 1 Advance Special at each of 3 levels
(Conference, National, International)
- Observed, with an offering, One Great Hour of Sharing
- Shared a mission story with the Conference Website Sharing our Stories Section
- Sponsored at least 1 person (per 100 members in avg. weekly worship
attendance) on a UM VIM project/trip
- Be involved in a significant mission project in the local community
- Have a GBGM Covenant Relationship with a UM missionary (GBGM or MSUM)
To apply, submit in writing or by email a detailed summary of how your church has fulfilled at least 5 of these criteria. Be specific. (Advance Specials of GBGM qualify for this; check out the Missions/Missionaries pages of this website.) Contact Rev. for more information, PO Box 410, Fort Sumner FUMC, Fort Sumner NM 88119.
Deadline is two weeks prior to Annual Conference.
- CBGM also grants funding through the Sively Award to organizations and churches for significant work in disaster relief, rehabilitation after disaster, root causes of hunger and refugee ministries. Application deadline is December 31st (changed 9/30/13).
- McCreless Endowment Fund of UMCOR-Child related Ministries. Administered by the Conference Board of Global Ministries, through the accounting structures of the NMAC Methodist Foundation Inc., has the purpose of supporting mission projects within the NMAC that will serve the needs of children with an emphasis that reflects Unnited Methodist Committee on Relief values and goals. See Grant Guidelines for specifics.
Deadline is December 31st (changed 9/30/13).
- The Committee on Ethnic Minorities offers funding to local churches for ethnic minority ministry programs through its EMLC Scholarships.
EMLC Funding application
- The Equipping Ministries Team has limited scholarships of $500 available to assist individuals or teams of individuals from local churches to attend or promote leadership training in Disciple-making. Each application will be considered on its own merits. General application to James Large, chairman of the team:
Equipping Scholarship Application
- The Harry Denman Evangelism Award for Clergy, Lay and Youth, recognizes a person whose life and ministry exemplifies the teaching of Christ and the Great Commission. Recipients of these awards, nominated by their local church and selected by the Annual Conference, live their call to "Offer Them Christ" daily as modeled by Dr. Harry Denman, founder of The Foundation for Evangelism that sponsors these awards. www.FoundationForEvangelism.org
- Lilly Endowment Renewal Grants for Pastors, an Indianapolis-based, private philanthropic foundation, seeks to strengthen Christian congregations by providing an opportunity for pastors to step away briefly from the obligations of parish life and engage in a period of renewal, intentional exploration, and reflection. In the 2011 National Clergy Renewal Program, the Endowment anticipates awarding as many as 150 grants of up to $50,000 each directly to Christian congregations for the support of a renewal program for their pastor. Up to $15,000 of the grant may be used for congregational expenses associated with the renewal program. For more information, go to www.clergyrenewal.org
- The New Mexico Methodist Foundation Inc. and NM Board of Higher Education and Campus Ministries has annual Scholarship funds available for college and seminary students. (Questions to Dara Bell, Youth Ministries Conference Coordinator, .)
- The Dee Ivy Scholarship Fund Applications are now being received. Recipients of the Ivy Scholarships shall be college students, seminary students, or other graduate students preparing for a full-time church related vocation in The United Methodist Church. Dee Ivy Scholarship Criteria 2013
- The John and Arley Reece Jesus Plaque Scholarship Endowment Fund Scholarships will be awarded according to need, character, scholastic record, past and potential contribution to the human family and similar positive criteria.
Reece Jesus Plaque Criteria Reece Scholarship App
- For general upcoming and established Clergy: Legacy Scholarship
- St Paul's United Methodist Church Foundation in El Paso has Scholarship funds available for Seminary students who plan to return to NMAC. The Foundation awards up to three Scholarships of $1,500 for the school year. Individuals who are interested should apply in writing to the church office at 7000 Edgemere Blvd, El Paso, TX 79925, or by email to Beth Caster at . Information will be posted here as to next available opportunities for this assistance.
- The Youth Ministries Program Area grants some limited scholarship funds annually through the Lackey Scholarship, available to Clergy children. Inquiries and applications should be sent to Dara Shipp-Bell, Conference Youth Coordinator.
Lackey Scholarship criteria
Spring semester application deadline is January 30;
Fall semester deadline is October 20