Grants and Scholarships
Albuquerque District grants annual funding for missions work in the Albuquerque District of the Conference.
Any United Methodist Church or related nonprofit organization within the bounds of the Albuquerque District is eligible to apply. Our mission is to demonstrate God’s love and presence in the world through evangelism, service, advocacy, or community development. In recent years, the Committee has funded the following types of projects: direct services to the hungry and homeless, care for young children, older adult services, Hispanic and Native American ministries, women’s shelter, prison recovery program, and secondary education.
The New Mexico Conference Endowment Distribution Committee offers a number of grants which groups may apply for in expanding their ministries. Funds are made available to spur on the imaginations and turn hopes and dreams for potential ministry into reality.
Applications and inquiries should be directed to the Committee as directed in the respective packet. The deadline for the following four grants is March 1st.
- Bishop's Award Grant (granted only to local congregations and bodies within local congregations) Bishop's Award Packet
- Vitality Award Grant (granted only to boards, agencies and bodies that are formed by or are a part of the NMAC) Vitality Award Packet
- Pippin Grant for Mission (granted for mission work in New Mexico Conference, including the training of Navajo ministers) Pippin Grant Packet
- Thaxton Grant (granted for the care of the elderly poor and/or impoverished children of New Mexico) Thaxton Grant Packet
For Grants from the General Board of Church & Society click here: Conference Connections
The Board of Global Ministries
Cinco Estrellas (5 Stars)Award of Excellence to churches who meet 5 of the following criteria in a preceding conference
- Paid World Service & District Mission shared ministries in full
- Supported (financially or in kind) the Annual Conference Mission Project
- Supported at least 1 Advance Special at each of 3 levels
(Conference, National, International)
- Observed, with an offering, One Great Hour of Sharing
- Shared a mission story with the Conference
- Sponsored at least 1 person (per 100 members in avg. weekly worship
attendance) on a UM VIM project/trip
- Be involved in a significant mission project in the local community
- Have a GBGM Covenant Relationship with a UM missionary (GBGM or MSUM)
To apply, submit in writing or by email a detailed summary of how your church has fulfilled at least 5 of these criteria. Be specific. (Advance Specials of GBGM qualify for this; check out the Missions/Missionaries pages of this website.) Contact Rev. for more information, PO Box 410, Fort Sumner FUMC, Fort Sumner NM 88119.
Deadline is two weeks prior to Annual Conference.
Sively Award grants to organizations and churches for significant work in disaster relief, rehabilitation after disaster, root causes of hunger and refugee ministries. Application deadline is February 15th
McCreless Endowment Fund of UMCOR-Child related Ministries Administered by the Conference Board of Global Ministries, through the accounting structures of the NMAC Methodist Foundation Inc., has the purpose of supporting mission projects within the NMAC that will serve the needs of children with an emphasis that reflects Unnited Methodist Committee on Relief values and goals. See Grant Guidelines for specifics. Application deadline is February 15th.
Committee on Ethnic Minorities offers funding to local churches for ethnic minority ministry programs through its EMLC Scholarships.
EMLC Funding application
Equipping Ministries Team has limited scholarships of $500 available to assist individuals or teams of individuals from local churches to attend or promote leadership training in disciple making. Each application will be considered on its own merits.
Equipping Scholarship Application
Harry Denman Evangelism Award for Clergy, Lay and Youth, recognizes a person whose life and ministry exemplifies the teaching of Christ and the Great Commission. Recipients of these awards, nominated by their local church and selected by the Annual Conference, live their call to "Offer Them Christ" daily as modeled by Dr. Harry Denman, founder of The Foundation for Evangelism that sponsors these awards. For more information go to http://foundationforevangelism.org/recognition/harry-denman-evangelism-award/
Lilly Endowment Renewal Grants for Pastors, an Indianapolis-based, private philanthropic foundation, seeks to strengthen Christian congregations by providing an opportunity for pastors to step away briefly from the obligations of parish life and engage in a period of renewal, intentional exploration, and reflection. In the 2011 National Clergy Renewal Program, the Endowment anticipates awarding as many as 150 grants of up to $50,000 each directly to Christian congregations for the support of a renewal program for their pastor. Up to $15,000 of the grant may be used for congregational expenses associated with the renewal program. For more information, go to www.clergyrenewal.org
The New Mexico Methodist Foundation has annual Scholarship funds available for college and seminary students:
- The Dee Ivy Scholarship Fund Applications are now being received. Recipients of the Ivy Scholarships shall be college students, seminary students, or other graduate students preparing for a full-time church related vocation in The United Methodist Church. Application deadline is June 30th.
- The John and Arley Reece Jesus Plaque Scholarship Endowment Fund Scholarships will be awarded according to need, character, scholastic record, past and potential contribution to the human family and similar positive criteria. Application deadline is June 30th.
- The Legacy Scholarship for general upcoming and established clergy: Legacy Scholarship Please contact John Rivas at NM Methodist Foundation for more information.
Youth Ministries Program Area grants some limited scholarship funds annually through the Lackey Scholarship, available to Clergy children. Inquiries and applications should be sent to the Conference Offices or email to
Spring semester application deadline is January 30; Fall semester deadline is October 20
St Paul's United Methodist Church Foundation in El Paso has Scholarship funds available for Seminary students who plan to return to NMAC. The Foundation awards up to three Scholarships of $1,500 for the school year. Individuals who are interested should apply in writing to the church office at 7000 Edgemere Blvd, El Paso, TX 79925, or by email to Beth Caster at . Information will be posted here as to next available opportunities for this assistance.