Livestream: UMCOM will provide a livestream from St. Louis from Saturday, February 23rd until Tuesday, February 26th. To watch during that time, click here. Saturday will be a day of prayer and preparation – 9:00 am – 6:30 pm. Sunday through Tuesday sessions will be held 8:00 am – 6:30 pm.
GC19 Information: The special called General Conference will be held February 23 – 26, 2019 in St. Louis. A contingent from our conference will be attending as 2019 delegates, 2020 delegates, officials, pages, and observers. We will provide daily coverage of the historically significant event and will have the livestream available at the Conference Office Monday & Tuesday.
While the outcome is uncertain, what we DO know is that we are called by God to be in ministry to the world. That will not change. Please keep the delegates, the process, organizers, bishops and the whole church in your prayers.
Background: Our denomination is facing uncertain times as we struggle through debates over human sexuality – essentially how and whether we are going to include LGBTQ persons in ministry and the life of the church and how and whether we might maintain unity in the face of such diverse options, preferences, and practices.
The task of navigating us through this time had been taken up by our Council of Bishops(CoB) and a specially appointed Commission on a Way Forward. While the Commission worked, the CoB asked annual conferences to foster “listening sessions” for preliminary feedback on the proposed way forward, which the NM Conference hosted in February – April, 2018.
The COB received the Commission on a Way Forward’s first report, which suggested three sketches. The COBs drafted their recommendation in May to support the One Church Plan. In May, the UMC Judicial Council ruled that other petitions — in addition to legislation from the COB’s — could be submitted for the 2019 Special Called Session. In October, the Judicial Council decided which petitions could be heard during the special called GC19, according to the denomination’s constitution.
The Committee on Reference decided all 48 petitions in the Commission on a Way Forward report – including those of the One Church, Traditional and Connectional Conference Plans – are “in harmony” with the GC19 call. Another 30 petitions got the go-ahead, meaning 78 petitions total have been cleared for General Conference 2019.
General Conference will be February 23-26, 2019 in St. Louis. The NM Conference has one clergy and one lay General Conference Delegate. We also have a clergy and a lay Jurisdictional Conference Delegate and four alternates. We have elected our 2020 delegates, who will be in attendance at GC19, so that they can better represent us as the work likely continues.
Videos from the ABQ Way Forward Listening Session:
The Three Plans: The Traditional Plan, the One Church Plan and Connectional Conference Plan and other pieces of legislation in “harmony” with the Call will be debated and voted on by 864 delegates from around the globe in February, 2019.
- Traditional Plan – Affirms the current Book of Discipline language and places a high value on accountability.
- One Church Plan – Gives churches the room they need to maximize the presence of United Methodist witness in as many places in the world as possible. It gives conferences, churches, and pastors the flexibility to uniquely reach their missional context in relation to human sexuality without changing the connectional nature of The UMC.
- Connectional Conference Plan -The five U.S. jurisdictions would be replaced by three connectional conferences, each covering the whole country, based on theology and perspective on LGBTQ ministry (i.e. progressive, contextual, traditional branches).
Table Outlines the impact of each plan on the local church, clergy, conferences, etc.: Overview Table of Three Plans
NM Conference Delegation: You may email the delegates directly: email@example.com.
- Rev. Dr. Eduardo “Eddie” Rivera, General Conference Delegate & Chair
- Sid Strebeck, General Conference Delegate
- Susan Brumbaugh, Jurisdictional Conference Delegate
- Rev. Scott Sharp, Jurisdictional Conference Delegate
- Chelsea Calderon – Alternate
- Mary Bell Haney – Alternate
- Rev. Todd Salzwedel – Alternate
- Rev. Jane Vaughan – Alternate
General Conference 2020 Delegation
General Conference Delegates: Rev. Randall Partin & Sid Strebeck
Jurisdictional Conference Delegates: Rev. Pam Rowley & Susan Brumbaugh
Alternates: Rev. Todd Salzwedel, Rev. Eddie Rivera, Dan Salzwedel & Heath Husted