Afghan Refugee families will be temporarily housed at Ft. Bliss (El Paso) and Holloman Air Force Base (Alamogordo). They will then be resettled in the U.S. The situation is constantly changing. We will provide updated information as we receive it. Please remain in prayer for everyone involved. Thank you for your compassion and generosity.
Afghan Refugee Resettlement Teams
The individuals and families resettling in the Las Cruces, NM/El Paso, TX area come from military facilities across the country. Upon arrival, the newcomers will be supported in gaining access to services such as housing, transportation, employment, schools, ESL and other benefits for which they are eligible.
We are currently assembling sponsors and/or resettlement teams of approximately 15 – 20 people to assist each family unit in this effort.
Housing and Family Sponsorship
Following the fall of Kabul, an estimated 75,000 Afghans are arriving in the United States to rebuild their lives. UMCOR is supporting long-time partner Church World Service (CWS) in welcoming, resettling and providing for these families. El Calvario UMC-Las Cruces is a CWS affiliate.
UMCOR and CWS invite United Methodist churches in the U.S. to engage in resettlement efforts and enter a sponsorship relationship with CWS. UMCOR recognizes that providing resettlement support to refugees presents congregations with new responsibilities, so UMCOR will share some of the costs associated with Afghan resettlement.The Afghan Refugee Resettlement Reimbursement program will reimburse expenses of up to $1,000 per local UMC that is in a sponsorship relationship with CWS.
Supplies – Please DO NOT donate used items.
- In El Paso, Trinity-First United Methodist Amazon wish list here: Amazon.com
- In Las Cruces, El Calvario UMC Amazon wish list for regular updates on what things are needed: Amazon Smile
- In the Albuquerque area, please make a monetary donation or use one of the wishlists. The Conference Office will no longer serve as a collection site.
- In Alamogordo, Rev. Kelly McCuaig and Grace UMC-Alamogordo want to THANK YOU for the outpouring of love that has gone into all the donations that have been made to our new neighbors. The link below is a quick and recommended way for you to continue to donate the needed items for the guests at Holloman AFB: https://amzn.to/3uOkvnx
Thank you SO MUCH for your extraordinary generosity. If you would like to provide monetary support, there are several ways you can donate:
- Submit a check to your local church with “Afghan Refugee Assistance (ARA)” in the memo. Your church will then post the special offering online with the Conference. If you have questions about online submissions, contact Griselda Sandoval, Conference Treasurer at 505-255-8786, ext. 103 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To support the efforts in Las Cruces, you can donate online at www.resiliencylc.org or mail a check to El Calvario, PO Box 2842, Las Cruces, NM 88004. Please designate your gift to “Protect Our Afghan Allies”
- Donate to UMCOR here: UMCOR Global Migration – Global Ministries (umcmission.org)
- Donate to Church World Service here: How to Help Afghans | CWS (cwsglobal.org)
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Roselie Johnston, Ministry & Programs Coordinator at (505)255-8786, ext. 101 or email@example.com.